scroll down for more
Miss Sybil C Lemon of West Derby wrote to all the Lady Captains of clubs within a 30-mile radius of Liverpool, inviting them to a meeting on March 2nd 1959 to see if there was any interest in forming an association on similar lines to that of the Liverpool Society of Golf Captains. Let’s just say the idea was well received, and the Society has now stood for over 60 years and continues to grow and develop.
The clubs represented at that first meeting were: West Derby, Childwall, Lee Park, Huyton & Prescot, Woolton.
Also invited to join in that first year were: West Lancashire, Hesketh, Grange Park, Southport & Ainsdale, Widnes, Wigan, Formby Ladies, Royal Birkdale, Ormskirk, Hillside, Dean Wood, Ashton-in-Makerfield.
22 clubs are now represented within the society: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Childwall, Dean Wood, Formby Ladies, Gathurst, Grange Park, Haydock Park, Hesketh, Hillside, Hindley Hall, Huyton and Prescot, Lee Park, Leigh, Ormskirk, Royal Birkdale, Southport and Ainsdale, Southport Old Links, West Derby, West Lancashire, Widnes, Wigan and Woolton. Quite a list.
Spring and Summer Meetings
The first golf meeting took place at West Derby on Friday 10th July 1959, with an entrance fee of 3/6d. The competition was an 18-hole medal and 9-hole competition. There were silver and bronze divisions with 1st and 2nd prizes for each division.
Mrs F Jackson, West Derby, donated a trophy for the best individual nett score, which was won by Mrs W G Williamson, West Derby. A club team trophy was donated by Mrs M Hodson and was calculated for the best three nett scores and also won by West Derby.
In 1960 it was decided to hold a foursomes medal competition at Hillside on 11th April. This was a great success with 84 entries. The individual medal competition was held at Woolton on 22nd July, when it was also decided to hold a ‘sealed holes’ competition running concurrently with the 9-hole competition. Also a putting competition, 6s sweep with no entry fee and a scratch prize. It seems the Society was becoming more adventurous.
Also in 1960 the matter of inter-society matches was discussed, but it was decided to leave this for further consideration at a later date. These matches would finally be played on 14th August 1961 at Grange Park when seven foursomes teams from the Society would take on The Society of West Cheshire Lady Golf Captains. The match was a close one, but unfortunately West Cheshire won 4-3. Our first win against West Cheshire would not come until 1963 with a 4-3 win at Southport & Ainsdale and a half at Caldy GC.